Thursday, February 21, 2008

By the river


On a stone bench, by the river, I sat.
Indulged and lost in the evergreen smiles
of the trees on the river side.
Not one had a frown,
Neither had one dried and turned brown.
As it had made way sinking its toes in the river’s route,
Blessed were they from the top most branches to the root

The river moved forth roaring in search of its destiny,
To the wide blue ocean through the nearest sea.
While the trees stayed calm and swinging with the wind,
At a place where they’d destined to be.
Birds flew over my head looking down up on me.
Yet I looked up to them hoping
That someday that’s how I wish to be.

Fishes made way through rocks and weeds,
And hid beneath them quickly,
Whenever they saw birds flying low with pointed beaks.
The river gave way to ripples on its surface,
As I skimmed some pebbles.
The oil-on-canvas reflection disrupted,
And returned to form in just a couple of seconds.

If I had my scribble pad,
I’d have opted not to scribble.
Perhaps, set sail a fleet of paper boats,
That would set out on a voyage without oars.
Fortunately or unfortunately it wasn’t so,
And now that moment is captured from memory,
Onto my scribble pad, which you’re reading right now.

15 comments:

smriti said...

Do take me wid u...to sail d paper boats next time..wd luv to do it :)
n u sailed this one very well :)

I wish i cd hv bn blissful like u 2 find such a tranquil place in Delhi :(

My World said...

I once read a piece about a visit to a forest for which the writer wantonly left his camera behind with the idea that his memory would dim and would become fuzzy and fill him with the desire to go back and relive the wonder... I too have been quite taken in by the idea... Good for you that you could get to this place.. I wish I could go too!

Dolly Singh said...

Hey, perfect imagery!
seems like the scene unfolding right in front of your eyes...
Keep them coming..

vandana said...

:) ..a heartfelt page from the diary of memories cherished n preserved in the heart n mind ... :) simply beautiful ..n the personification adds to the charm!!

indeed i wonder how pleasant n realxing it wud be to be as carefree n at peace as nature...!!

"oil on canvas reflection" !!!! authentic expression!!

cheers.. !! :)

scrawler said...

Wonderful Piece!! Keep up the good work!

Nemo said...

"The river moved forth roaring in search of its destiny,
To the wide blue ocean through the nearest sea."

Describes so much of the things that I usually miss out on.
Excellent job, as usual!!

Nemo

Ivory Maiden said...

Some scenes are best when shared by all...thanks for scribbling all the way.
:)

Aman said...

Birds flew over my head looking down up on me.
Yet I looked up to them hoping
That someday that’s how I wish to be.

The best lines in the poem IMO. Great work.

Pri said...

hmm nice :)
but dunno why..somehow i felt this did not have the same emotional intensity ur poems normally tend to have...dont take me wrong..this was good too...
just felt it was a lil distant...

keep writing!!
take care!

Pri said...

hmm nice :)
but dunno why..somehow i felt this did not have the same emotional intensity ur poems normally tend to have...dont take me wrong..this was good too...
just felt it was a lil distant...

keep writing!!
take care!

d SINNER!!! said...

wow....a very beautiful place...


nice flow of thots as well....

Shal said...

this one was soooooooo refreshing
cud just feel the whole thing :)

Sashu said...

very very picturesque!cud actually feel myself der(instead f ya, muz say!) loved it!

refreshin, as shal rightly noted!

chimaya said...

wonderful recollection n description..gud 1 dude..:)

Anonymous said...

Hip Hip Hurray..........kudos for the divine dwelling and this moment what has been acertained...
Keep up the good faith...
chris