Wednesday, September 12, 2007

BURN

Standing in a dark room,
I looked at her as she read,
With glowing eyes behind her specs,
Her iris moved gradually, from word to word,
And left to right without even looking up.

Reclined on the couch with a book in one hand,
She bit her nails off the other hand.
Her shadow painted a silhouette on the old stone wall,
And her streaks of hair glistened like the sun’s rays during fall,
It flowed down her shoulders and almost touched the floor.

Gently, with her finger she pushed her glasses up.
That slid down like an avalanche from the mountain top.
Turning around she reached for her tea cup,
And took a sip followed by a puff on the surface of the cup.
The vapour fogged her glasses as she took a sip,
But she closed her eyes as she enjoyed every bit.

I stood there gleaming without moving either side,
When a cold draft shook me off my feet,
That’s when she looked at me with a sparkle in her eyes.
And put the book away and rushed to my rescue.
She cupped my face caringly and looked towards the door.

Closing the door she walked back and slipped into the couch.
Started reading once again from the page where she had left.
I jumped and glowed brightly.
My happiness knew no bound.
I just stretched high as though I could reach the sky.

Nobody could have stopped me,
Until and unless it was none other than me;
My face just shone brighter than ever.
I was blazing with joy from deep inside,
And I was literally melting as I knew it was irreversible.


I could almost feel myself melt and shrink really slow.
But I just couldn’t take my eyes off.
For I was imprisoned as her admirer,
And her admirer forever I’ll be.
Trying not to lift my gaze of her till eternity.

That’s when she again looked at me a lil worriedly.
And walked towards me unhurriedly and stood beside me.
Without looking elsewhere she looked down upon me,
It seemed as though this moment would last for time without end,
Just then she reached for another candle that took my place.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

In our life we definately experience being burnt either from one end to the other end or maybe even from both the ends, but here this is catastrophic...
shhhhhhh..........
Chris

akanksha said...

Wow...wt an unpredictable end...There was such a passion in ur words...realy loved the poetry!!!Keep up the good work...u're just amazing.

Shal said...

This was awesome
the way every detail was potrayed
as a reader i was glued to the flow

n the ending was the best
:))

ayushi said...

its beautiful....fantastic...m out of words

A Poetess said...

there u go n play with ur muse again..only this time u are givn a physical description of ur muse..refreshing for me...i like pictures being drawn distinctively!!


And I'm ready to b a candle too..was one for a long long time...but now am exceptionally Lucky..thanks for reminding me of life like that...i wudnt like to go back to it...but i can if i want to...

cheerios
~debadyuti~

krupa said...

who wud have thot a candle has so much feeling!!!

SOUL'S SCRIBES!!! said...

You know what?
I am falling in love with your words....profound flow of creativity,a twist and a super-finish!Mater of originality,i salute thee!

A

Megna.m said...

awww ....that was such a sweet ending.....it all fell in place when u said "cupped my face"....that was beautiful!

i love your work with the unexpected endings...keep those :D

Great scribble

M

Madhavi said...

Ive nver read a poem which personifies emotions so profoundly seriously all throughout the poem til the end didnt feel for a bit tht It ws about a candle.Superb!!

Pri said...

wonderful!!

:)

Riya said...

Excellent detail, and vivid imagery- it really stands out as an awesome piece.....not so much a poem as it is a narration...but still, I thought the characterisation of the woman and the personification of the candle were brilliant...=)
keep it up
PS: you really do have a knack for these surprise endings...=)

Rya said...

well, its a nice entry, i like ur craft of viewing intricate details by means of non-living objects, the beauty of the writing is that it paints pictures in the beginning,confuses u as it reaches the middle and clears the doubts in the end, its a perfect controlled writing! gud job! keep scribbling!

Rya said...

its a good piece, perfectly crafted in the format of
beginning- generate curiousity, paint pictures
middle- confuse the reader, further increase the suspense
end- reveal the theme
good job,keep scribbling, nice knack for detaails!

Pri said...

gr8 poetry...
like life, makes u realise the essence only in the end and tempts u to go through all of it once again:)

blogged in! said...

Wonderful comparison... cant help being burnt! So tantilizing and yet life consuming... I would associate this feeling with love....

sashu said...

simply stunning as ever..de very first read n diz umpteenth read,it brings in de same amazement in me :)

beautifully done charlie!

nisha said...

mannnn.. this is just amazing... just loved every bit of it.. am sure gonna love the candles from today.. :)

A Poetess said...

i hope u are not another candle in the wind.All the best to you.I think you got what I mean.

Regards Charlie

~Debadyuti~

smriti said...

heyy scribbieee...this was a nice read...i cd actualy imagine everythin happenin in front of me...bt i guess it was more of a narration than a poem 4 me..bt still i enjoyed readin it...d end was very much expected 4m u...i mean to expect d unexpected is wht ur endings r all abt na..hehe..liked it :)